Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mean Streets

I'm in the 'Burbs at present. It's not as bad as I expected. Except for some freak weather.

These are the mean Streets of my youth:



Here, I'm standing in front of the site of a house I onced lived in. This was my view on April 10, 1968, the day the Wahine sank with loss of life. That day we had the curtains drawn because all manner of things were blowing about - dustbins, roofs, trees, neighbours, pets and man hole covers. The trees in the picture obviously survived, but a row of big trees that were behind them were uprooted & blown across the park.


A more recent storm saw this tree off. People who were outside at the time, described a tornado. My brother-in-law, nephews and dog, were unable to get home because a tree isolated their street and took out the power. They turned up like sodden refugees & we spent the evening watching the Crusaders beat the Chiefs while feasting on sausages, squid rings, hash browns & some dodgy frozen fish pieces - anything we could find in the freezer to feed unexpected guests.


Some of the roads could do with sealing though. This would have looked grand on the day of the storm.


And this enthusiast needs to get one of his satellite dishes repaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment