Monday, May 10, 2010

Beer and Trainspotters

Family from the Old Country came to stay a little while back, a 2nd or 3rd degree cousin and her husband. I think her brother might have been in my class at some stage.

They visited some 17 years ago, when they seemed to be on a world tour of natural breweries. They had The Parrot and Jigger on their list, but my mum persuaded them they visit lots of natural breweries and that a hike along the Eastbourne coast would be more memorable. Heh. This never fails to amuse me.

This time, they were far more ambivalent about beer, and after only 10 or so minutes of being appraised of the world trip so far... it dawned on me that my cousin's husband is a Trainspotter. For real. As an aside, anoraks are out of favour these days, they have been substituted with natty smocks, or hooded ponchos, which cover your backpack as well. Fecking ingenious.

They're both Whovians, and hail from South Wales, close to the Cardiff Rift. Raoul told me that for one week or so, from his office in a town called Newport, the Tardis was parked across the street, while battle for the fate of the Universe took place nearby. How cool is that.

After they left, I came across this. Beer and trains, and more. Raoul might have liked that.

The new Doctor gets the thumbs up. But among my friends, the jury it still out on the new Companion.

2 comments:

  1. Heh - I had him pegged as a trainspotter fairly early as well

    We went to the pub rather than for a walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 18 year old thinks the new companion is just about perfect (for a ginga)(her, not him)

    ReplyDelete